Friday, May 1, 2015

Raymond Carver: Cathedral

I have had the privlage of working with some truly amazing students and young adults with the organization Handiriders (now called Horse Power). A majority of these people were blind. Though their sight is nonexsistent often, they had some of the largest imaginations I have ever encountered. I think that is the lesson that the husband in this story learns. His wife's friend initialy makes him uncomfortable, because of his blindness. But once he "sees" things from Robert's eyes, his whole perspective changes.


I don't think this is a limited lesson. I believe we encounter situations often where we already have preconcieved notions only to be perplexed by our misunderstanding.

2 comments:

  1. I love this example! I think it relates extremely well to the short story. There are more ways to see the world than just with your eyes, and sometimes those other ways allow you to see things on a deeper level. Also I agree that this is not a limited lesson -- there are many different situations for which it could apply. I know I've often gone into situations with preconceived notions and had to change my mindset when what I saw didn't match up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put how Robert's perspective changes once he is made uncomfortable. Its always interesting to see the difference in how people live their lives, when we see it as unfortunate. However, through understanding peoples situations and their personal perspectives on life, we see that the happiness they exert is to the same extent of our own happiness in life.

    ReplyDelete