Friday, May 1, 2015

Flannery O'Connor: Good Country People

As I read this short story, I reflected on the most common assertions I make in my own life. For example, I often expect that someone working at McDonalds is in high school, that my mailman is trustworthy enough not to look through my mail, and that my college professors genuinly care about how I am doing in their class. For the most part, I believe these assumptions are normally true, but their are exceptions. In "Good Country People," Joy/Hulga, the bitter one-legged daughter of Mrs. Hopewell, along with all the residents of the Hopewell house, are tricked into believing that Manley Pointer is a simple Bible salesman for the same reason that I believe my mailman is a good man. In no other words, we judge books by their covers and people by their apperance. My mailman was well dressed, friendly, and always on time. This lead me to believe he will always deliver my mail unmolested. However, a week ago I recieved a letter from the post office informing me that credit card statements had been found opened in his vehical from myself and others on his route. He certainly was not what he appeared. Manley has the whole package: a convincing story, unassuming appearance, and relatively simple demeanor. But, he also is not what he appears.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that often we choose to judge books by their covers. This story portrays this notion with the many characters you mentioned above. It is interesting to think how often we let our stereotypes of people form a direct impression of them before we really get to know them.

    ReplyDelete