Friday, February 13, 2015

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Chapters 6-14

My absolute favorite chapter in this book is by far the chapter in which Huck dresses up like a girl. I like to imagine that if had seen him I also would have been able to see through his clever costume.  

One thing I have observed throughout this entire book is that Huck is an incredibly last liar. When confronted with sticky situations, he is always capable of creating a semi-plausible scenario that either absolves him instantly from trouble or covers a mistake from his initial lie. I do not have this ability. Once, when I was caught decorating a basement for a friends surprise party, my only explanation for my presence in that basement was "it was raining." Huck seems to have developed this initial talent through interactions with his father. I recall his quick explanation to why his clothes were wet after finding the canoe. What does this say about him as a character? It leads me to assume  he does not often feel comfortable with the truth. It will be interesting to see if he continues to smudge the truth throughout the rest of the book, or if he confronts reality.

1 comment:

  1. Breanna --

    Thanks for these initial posts on your blog. I've enjoyed reading them. I'm particularly intrigued by the concern with truth that you begin to explore in this post. This exploration could potentially turn into a paper topic, I think.

    gad

    ReplyDelete