Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Adventure of Huck Finn, Chapter 1-5

The first time I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn I was nine years old. It has occured to me, since that first read, that I in no way understood what I was reading. I have read the book twice since then, and each time I have aquired a bit more knowledge.

My goal as I read this book for the fourth time for class is that I will begin to understand Mark Twain more as an author. I look forward to hearing my classmates reactions to the characters and events in the book as well.

The first five chapters of this book are mostly an introduction into the world that is Huck. We learn that he lives with the Widow Douglas and her sister Miss Watson. We also learn that Huck and his friend Tom Sawyer have recently found a large some of money as well as caught a group of robbers. For Huck, his whole world has just changed. His new guardians have high hopes to educate and civilize him. He has reservations, but overall seems to enjoy some of the luxuries of his new life. His father, who has been in and out of the picture, makes a re-appearance mostly because he wants the money Huck has been promised.

I don't necessarily want to try to "find meaning" from these first few chapters. (I don't want to be shot.) However, I do want to make some observations. My first observation is Huck's character seems to be almost opposite from the Huckleberry Finn character from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. In the first book, he is portrayed as a bad boy, rebellious, instigator. In this book, he seems more cautious as well as he has become more of a follower of Tom. My second observation is Huck is very superstitious. He does not believe easy, and speculates a lot about the workings of the world. Lastly, the people in Huck's life seem to lack great connection with him. He does not relate to any of the other characters on a personal level. It would seem he thinks of himself as separate from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment