Friday, April 17, 2015
Allen Ginsberg: Howl
I did not like this poem. That may seem childish, but I truly did not enjoy reading this poem. Possibly my biggest reason for disliking this poem was the the subject matter. The people in this poem were suffering at the hands of their drug, like slaves to a master. The imagery was vulger and horrible. It would truly hurt me to see someone I know experience the lifestyle that is described in part one. The last two sections of this poem were very confusing to me. I imagine the author may have had some delusions. Specifically in the second part, it bothered me that their seems to be blame placed on the parents of these indivuals. In my experience, when you do drugs, that's your choice, not a consequence of the way you were raised. That is simlar to saying that if you weren't hugged enoungh as a child, surely you will become a sociopath. The last part was the only part I minutly enjoyed. It was the saving grace of this awful poem. At least in the midst of all this struggle and choas, one person has someone looking out for them. One person has someone to heed a little encouragement from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you when I say that this was probably the most vulgar poem I have read. However, I did find this poem to depict the dangers of drug use and the consequences people face as a result of using drugs.
ReplyDelete